Flood Insurance

Shopping for a Flood Insurance Policy

For better or for worse, Mother Nature doesn't play favorites. Additionally, homeowners insurance does not cover for flood damage. Our flood product is backed by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and prices are mandated specific to your area (Flood Zone.)

Over time, certain areas are more likely to flood than others, but flood damage can happen to anyone. Get a quote for flood insurance today; Lighthouse Agency, Inc. can help you with a flood policy underwritten through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP.)

If you live in certain areas with greater odds of flooding and have a mortgage, federal law may require you to have flood insurance. But even if you're not required to have flood insurance your home could still be at risk. Additionally, homes near open bodies of water, lakes and streams are prone to flooding. However, homes several miles away from the coast may also flood due to significant rain water runoff.

Flood Insurance Coverage

Flood insurance covers the structure of your home and your personal property from, flood damage. But here's the thing; regular water damage and flood damage can be separate, specific conditions when it comes to property insurance.

Make sure you don't end up taking a bath in the event that your home sustains damage: talk to your Lighthouse Insurance agent today to make sure you're properly insured when it comes to the various kinds of water-related damage.

Definition of Flood (As Defined by the NFIP)

A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the homeowner's property) from:

  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
  • Unusual and rapid accumulation of runoff of surface waters from any source; or
  • Mudflow; or
  • Collapse of substance of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above

Flood Insurance Coverage

Most flood insurance policies require a 30-day waiting period before the coverage is effective. Exceptions are only made for a few specific circumstances such as if you've purchased a new home and the closing is in less than 30 days (lender required).

So make sure you're prepared; get a flood insurance quote today! Give us a call at 1.888.399.0300 to learn more or visit us at a local branch location.

Payment Options

Flood policies must be paid in full. In many instances the payment can be rolled into your mortgage.

Flood Insurance Sales Department Hours (ET)

Give us a call at 1.888.399.0300 to learn more or visit us at a local branch location.

Frequently Asked Questions about Flood Insurance

Who do I go to first for help with questions about my NFIP policy?

You should call your insurance company first.

Does my NFIP Policy cover all the buildings on my property?

The standard flood insurance policy provides coverage for one building per policy. The only exception is 10 percent coverage for a detached garage. However, the total payment for flood damage to the detached garage and the house together cannot exceed the building policy limit. For coverage to apply, the garage can only be used for parking and storage. Policy limits for residential properties are $250,000 and $500,000 for commercial properties.

Are the contents of my home covered under my NFIP Policy?

Contents are not automatically included. If contents coverage is desired a specific amount must be named and a separate premium charged, but it doesn't need to be a separate policy. Contents coverage limits are $100,000 for residential policies and $500,000 for commercial policies.

I have a living area in my basement. Is that covered?

A basement is defined as any area that is below grade on all four sides. In some cases, sunken living rooms can be defined as a basement. Building coverage in basements is limited to systems that service the building, such as electrical boxes, heat pumps and air conditioners. Cleanup, as well as contents in basements are covered with a few exceptions such as a washer, dryer, freezer and the food in it.

Does my NFIP policy cover my additional living expenses when I cannot return home?

No. There is no coverage for Additional Living Expenses or Loss of Use or Business Interruption.

Does my NFIP policy cover mold or mildew?

Damage from mold and/or mildew resulting from the effects of a flood is covered but each case is evaluated. Mold and/or mildew conditions that existed prior to a flooding event are not covered. After a flooding event, the policyholder is responsible for taking reasonable and appropriate actions to reduce and eliminate mold or mildew.

Does my NFIP policy cover water backed up from the sewer?

If the damage was caused by a flood.

Does my NFIP policy cover landscaping or my deck?

No. There is no coverage for landscaping, trees, decks or outdoor furniture.

What do I do if I do not agree with my adjuster?

Ask your adjuster to work with your contractor if your disagreement involves the building claim. If you cannot agree with your adjustor, ask for assistance from his supervisor. If you cannot resolve your differences, contact your insurance company.

If I do not have flood insurance but would like to purchase it, what do I do?

Call an agent at 1.888.399.0300. Flood insurance is available to any homeowner or business owner who lives in an NFIP-participating community. These are communities that have agreed to pass and enforce certain storm, water and floodplain management ordinances.

Information about flood insurance is also available on the web at www.FloodSmart.gov